Sunday, April 27, 2008

In the weeee hours of Monday

Another long day. Yet I'm still having a great time.

The committee I am working with has now completed 96 of its 190 petitions. Only 4 committees are still working. The other 8 finished their work Sunday afternoon. I definitely got assigned the most difficult committee (read: the one with the most divisive materials) but the leadership team is working so well together that I will miss them when we finally finish.

Fred, the chair is an African American man, civil rights attorney, from NYC. He had a very calm, clear way about him and manages the work of the committee well. He has a great sense of humor, breaks into song at times, and is willing to admit it when he is wrong.

Marget, the vice-chair is a woman from N. Georgia. She likes to be very supportive of people and kind of acts like the cheerleader when people get bogged down.

Selena, the secretary is a woman from Memphis. She has a great sense of humor, laughs a lot, is a perfectionist about the work she is doing, and yet never hesitates to ask for help.

These three are delegates who were elected by the committee to serve as officers for this session of General conference. They got very little training - on the first day - and yet are doing a great job. Selena had never even been to a General conference before.

Amy, my recorder teammate, is from Philadelphia. We are both rookies. Selena, Amy, and I are quick to catch on - although there are times when it is good we have 3 brains working to problem solve a situation. Selena was so overstressed at one point today that she turned to me as she was adding numbers to report a vote count and asked, "what is 9 plus 8?" I, too, was on overload and quickly turned to Amy who came up with the answer. We laughed and went on... I'm am having a lot of fun - did I already say that?

Thought for the day: You know you are in Texas when the limo that delivers teens to prom is not only a very elongated Hummer but has a pick-up truck bed as its trailing end. (Last night was prom night so we actually witnessed such a site.)

Fall City folks - I thought of you this morning during your worship time. Hope all went well and that you enjoyed having Monica with you.

goodnight for now.
love to you all,
jan

2 comments:

judithclaire said...

Hi Jan - Thanks for the descriptions of Fred, Marget and Selena. Ahhhh, Fred's calm, clear way about him is something I aspire to. The math thing?...I can relate to that-everyday.

Loved the Thought for the Day - a pickup being towed by a limo. Chuckle.

I thought of you, too, on Sunday. Missed you! Monica is a lot like you...fun, full of humor, and spontaneous. I understand she will join the throngs at the Conference this week.

How you have time to journal is beyond me, but I appreciate it. It's great to be able to keep up with your adventure on a daily basis.

You're missing the occasional, blinding sunshine..at least that's what I think it is-it's been a tough winter.

See you soon. Take care, Judy

Anonymous said...

I am glad you like Marget. She is so conservative!!!! As she was running to become a delegate, her campaign slogan was, "Stay on target with Marget."

Blessings,
Greg