Thursday, May 1, 2008

The courage of conviction stands

suffice it to say... yesterday was a hard day. Again the church that I love and serve in, has voted to legislate who can be in and who can't, who can serve with full integrity and who cannot, ...

I spent an hour last night carefully crafting my thoughts... sorting through the tears and the anger only to have the computer fail to send it and lose it instead. I regret not being able to recreate it this morning for you to read.

In summary, the 'incompatibility' clause remains. The body here was unable to affirm a statement that would report that the denomination is divided. Even though the vote was 55% - 45% the majority was not able to see the minority as also living true and faithful lives. I am saddened by what feels like hard heartedness from the many I am working among.

I will continue to serve as God has called me but for now it will be tainted with sadness and grief. I hold out for the time when those on the margins and those who feel they can't join in, will find a welcome into the hospitality of God's family.

Until then I will sing, as the disenfranchised did last night around the parameter of the conference, "Jesus loves us, this we know."

Know that I love you and will continue to offer you the love of God as I am able.

Jan

2 comments:

judithclaire said...

Dear Jan, A sad day indeed. You are in my heart and in my prayers, Judy

Anonymous said...

Jan,
I was very upset too at the Conference's actions. My first thought was I should just leave the church, but nothing is accomplished that way. I plan to be in Tampa in 2012 and have my vioce heard!

Blessings,
Greg